Sunday, 12 December 2010

The Year's Top 10 Films

It's the second week of December, so here come the year's-end lists. Not wishing to brown-nose, I do agree with 70% of Philip French's list in The Observer, although I found Another Year and The Ghost Writer had some sort of agenda which got in their way: for statement movies, I prefer honesty and Paul Greengrass was just telling it like it is in Green Zone. Actually, I had to fight with myself about Xavier Beauvois' Of Gods And Men as well which is an admirable film, but had me by my brain rather than my gut, which was the deal-breaker. 60% then.

Precious (Lee Daniels)

The Social Network (David Fincher)

Inception (Christopher Nolan)

Un Prophète (Jacques Audiard)

Exit Through The Gift Shop (Banksy)

Green Zone (Paul Greengrass)

The Kids Are All Right (Lisa Cholodenko)

Up in the Air (Jason Reitman)

Winter's Bone (Debra Granik)

Tournée (Mathieu Amalric)

Is there a real stinker? Yes, I think Wild Target fulfils that position well enough, sadly one of two Brit flicks for which I couldn't part with more than two stars from a personal gift of ten.

UPDATE: Wondering whether I might have been premature, after all I do have a ticket to see Catfish this week...

UPDATE 2: Have now seen Catfish. The list stays unchanged.

No comments: