Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Solaris vs Sardines

As part of negotiating my own meme-debris-storm following the unavoidable release of Gravity, I went and watched Steven Soderbergh's 2002 re-adaptation of Stanislaw Lem's Solaris (I can't imagine that Soderbergh would have imagined himself as re-making Tarkovsky's 1973 film).

One of the great things about this interesting, if already dated (post-Large Hadron Collider discussion of the 'Higgs field'!) movie is the calm and rather cool soundtrack from Cliff Martinez. I love it. But I couldn't help thinking that in its overlaid harmony and the use of steel-drum timbre it sounds just like a track from Radiohead's Packt Like Sardines In A Crushed Tin Box form the album Amnesiac. Which came first?*



OR


*Amnesiac was released 2001, Solaris the following year - though I'm not suggesting the latter has copied from the former!

No comments: